Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sing for Me

Yesterday I was in the kitchen getting ready for lunch when I heard it and it brought me to a complete stop. Leeland was singing "Carried to the Table". I love that song but that's not why it grabbed my attention. You see, when Kellie was home last month she told me she had gotten the cords and would sing it for me because she knew I liked it so much. I don't know why but we didn't do it right then. At one point (as I was getting another meal ready) I heard Brett in the background singing it. He had found the sheet of music that Kellie had brought and was using it. Kellie made a comment about not wanting to sing it now because she could never do it as well as Brett and that's the last it was mentioned. I don't even remember what my response to her was.

Anyway, hearing the song yesterday, all of that came to my mind in slow motion. If I could only rewind that time I would give my full attention to her. I wish I could hear her sing it now. I miss her so much.


Do you do that? Let a magic moment slip by and realize later that you missed it. It could have been great but you didn't take the time to enjoy what was right in front of you? Have you let a gift that was going to be given to you be taken back because you were too distracted by life and it's busyness that you forgot that life was in that very moment?

I know that I've done this before with other people and have missed many a great blessing. It doesn't have to be this way but so often I am so busy with the next thing that I miss the now.

Kellie, I know you will say it doesn't matter but I want you to know it does matter - to me. I regret it. I wish I could have a do-over.

It would have been so sweet....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You made this mommy of four growing, changing boys cry. With a house full of messes, lunches to make, diapers to change...yes, I have those moments a lot. I am now off to clean so that perhaps there will be less "not right now" moments.

Kellie said...

you made me cry too...

you're so sweet but believe me, you are the only one in the world that would say me singing and playing would have been a magic moment!

I love you so much mom and I miss you too. Next time we see each other, I will play it for you :)

Anonymous said...

i thought I was the only one who was guilty of missing a special moment and then feeling deep regrett. I vow never to let it happen again, but it does and I try harder not yo miss another special moment. I love you much, mom