Sunday, June 7, 2009

Back In Time

I know this is after the fact but I thought, for our own benefit, that I would post some more about the trip out. We did have a great time traveling.
It took us 6 days, driving around 500 miles a day for a total of 2975! (both of our guesses were too low) And, after all that those miles, we are still looking forward to the drive home. We will be taking a different route so we'll be seeing new country.

We started out our day on Tues. making a detour. We hadn't been driving for long when Warren decided he couldn't stand the bouncing any longer. Whenever we hit a speed of 70 the pickup with do a little dance. It was annoying Warren. So we pulled off the Interstate onto a rather sad looking part of town. We found a place that had one young man working and asked about balancing our tires. Sure thing. We planned to go to the coffee shop down the street while we waited but were informed that it was no longer open. So we stood and waited. It wasn't much to look at but he did a good job! No more dancing down the freeway. Warren was happy and I was glad to be on our way.

Periodically we would leave I 40 and travel on Route 66. Sometimes it was worth the detour and other times not so much. On Tues, while in Texas, we decided at lunch time to take old 66 and it was totally worth it. We found a cafe where the people there were true southerners, accent and all! The menu was limited but so good. Great hamburgers! For dessert Warren tried their 3 berry cobbler with ice cream. Okay, I tried it too, but just 2 bites. Then I went to the gift shop so I wouldn't get my hand slapped for taking too much of his.

Love doesn't mean a thing when it comes to cobbler!


The cafe happened to be at the midpoint of Route 66. We didn't know that when we took took that exit. A tiny, little town but worth the stop.








This picture is for you David - because you like this sorta thing! The cross was marked as the largest in the western hemisphere. I believe it was at a Baptist church. Now how do they come up with this? Did they really research before they built it to say we need to go 2 more inches to have the tallest and set a record?! And who decided it was the tallest? Did they check the measurements to be sure neither cheated? Just curious....!We were amazed at the amount of poverty that we saw along the way. Maybe because it was more out in the open that I was made so aware of it. I wondered at times how people could live the way they do. Warren said there is probably just as much in Oregon but the trees and bushes cover so much more up. Again I was reminded of how blessed I am. Even though I feel homeless my life looks so much better. We also saw alot of the signs of the poor economy. Big malls that are newly built sitting completely empty. Many big commercial building not finished and just sitting there with probably no plans to finish. It was an eye opener.
We are having so much fun at Jason and Kellies'. Kellie and I have already had a shopping day on Thursday. On Friday we somehow convinced the guys to go garage sale shopping! It was a bust but we did hit a few 2nd hand stores which gave us a couple of prizes. Yesterday Warren, Kellie and I worked on projects while Jason studied for today. Warren built things and Kellie and I painted.
A perfect Saturday, wouldn't you say?!






4 comments:

Shelldell said...

Glad your truck is up and running again. Safe journey's

Anonymous said...

Don't you love those little out-of-the-way places? We always enjoy finding things like that along the way and it's a great break from the interstate. Maybe a road trip does sound fun!
Deb

Debi said...

Havent ever been on Rt. 66 but heard it is really cool. Would love to hear more about the Grand Canyon and what you did while you were there.
Love your blog
Blessings
Debi

David Jensen said...

What a great church to wait for the rapture! God sure couldn't miss me standing beside a giant marker like that!