Monday, February 2, 2009

Being A Guest


I don't know what to write.

  I sit here thinking about a post and my mind goes in so many directions.  How can I know from observing for a few short days what people's lives are really like?   I can't.  But I do see a hunger for God that is not so apparent in the states.  Their day to day lives are harder here and yet they have a joy and contentment that I fear we would not have in the same circumstances. 

Their church service is on Sunday evening here so in the morning TaLisa, Abraham and Bethany showed us around, doing their normal activities, while Tim stayed home and studied.  TaLisa had told us that we were going "out" for breakfast. We did.  Warren said it was not quite what he pictured.  We sat on plastic chairs scrunched against a vendors booth (because we wanted to be in the shade!) at a flea market!  The usual Sunday morning activity!   We saw many people that they knew and some we already knew.  We ended the time by hanging out under the rubber tree (for shade)talking with friends while the kids literally swung from the branches (Tarzan style!)

We had had a ladies day at the church on Sat. and so it was so good to see several of the guests from that outreach back to the church on Sunday.  I was able to talk and share with several of them (in English!)  and was encouraged to see their desire to come back.   The worship was amazing.  So good to see how worshiping can happen when you don't even understand the language.  We could easily make ourselves at home with these people.   

Well, another full day today as we leave for Paraguay (illegally.  What's the law?  to pay someone off!)  

Okay, okay so life isn't so tough here as a guest!

Sorry there are no pictures this time.  We are having problems hooking up our computer (does that surprise anyone?!)here so I'm using Tim's.  It took us forever to get the pictures posted last time so I'll just have to wait until John and Flavia's house.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds hot! We are here just HOPING it gets above 50 so we can MAYBE go outside without shouts of "My hands are FREEZING! I want to go HOME!"

We are praying for you guys. I am sure it will be hard forever to put into words experiences. Some things can never be simply told and one has to be there. I do hope you are able to by the time you return though.

We love you!

Kellie said...

yep... it sounds like you guys are roughing it :)

I agree with Jodi's comment, it sounds hot! It's snowing here at our house today after being 64 degrees yesterday. Weird!

Love you and miss you so much :)

Anonymous said...

It's so good to have you blogging while you're there. For some reason, it makes me feel closer to you! It sounds like you guys are having a terrific time. The weather sounds hot! I love you guys and look forward to more posts. You're both in my prayers.
I'm having problems posting so if this says Anonymous, it's from me, Dori!

Anonymous said...

It does sound hot where you are. so interesting to read about the things you are doing and seeing. We are anxious to see just where you will live.

Anonymous said...

It does sound hot where you are. so interesting to read about the things you are doing and seeing. We are anxious to see just where you will live. i too am having trouble posting so I had better sign my name
Mom Miiler