Sunday, November 9, 2008

In the Beginning - Part One

People have asked how we have found ourselves preparing to move to Brazil. How did it come to be? How did God speak to us about it?

What if we are wrong?


This is my story. Warrens would be somewhat different because, of course, he would have other details to add (and some he wouldn't share!) We both know when it began though...

In October of 2006 I went to our women's retreat. The retreat itself was great but what sticks out to me wasn't something said by any of the speakers but rather something I heard God speak directly to me. Little did I know that it would impact our lives so much. He told me I was to talk to Warren about having our satellite TV turned off.

No more TV.

I had no intention of doing that because I knew it would be hard for me. I love HGTV!!!!! God used Brett to break me,though, as he came home from a retreat the same day and had heard God say the same thing to him. Warren agreed that he had been feeling it for some time but thought I wouldn't be too happy about the idea :(

There we had it - a word from the Lord to us. What to do? There were tears (mine) and it took quite a lot of convincing to the satellite people that we really did want it off permanently but we did. I'm not going to lie- it was really hard the first few months but we persevered and it has been good. It wasn't that what we were watching on TV was bad but rather that we were watching mindlessly. It was our evening thing to do. We watched programs we liked and when they weren't on we watched whatever we could find that wasn't "bad".

So, with the TV off, I started reading again and e-mailing some of our missionaries. Warren and I began to spend more time in prayer together and talking about what we were learning from scripture. We began sharing our hearts with each other, dreams and fears. Out of that we began to ask God,"is there more you want to do with our lives? Is this where you want us, God?"

We were (are) happy in Corvallis. Most of our family lives here. Warren liked his job, we loved our church, we have wonderful friendships. We were content.

But something was starting to stir....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

''''This was so interesting because I never really did know when and how Brazil ever became a desire.I know that Warren was ready to go quicker then you were and I was excited to see that you were seeking God's plan for you and came to the place where you knew God was asking you to serve there. Mom

Unknown said...

I remember this day when the decision to turn off the tv was made. And you half jokingly said that now God was going to speak.

And He did.

When we are faithful with the little things...who knows what will happen.