Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Loving on Shawna

My status on Facebook last night was this: My day went something like this: 1. no internet in the morning. 2. no electricity when I got back from the gym 3. no shower 4 wrong bus so it took 3 hours instead of the regular 1 1/2 hours 5 bird poops down my back as I am waiting for the light to change at the corner - no change of clothes with me 6. It was raining.
BUT the day wasn't bad - you can't have a whole bad day!

And really the whole day was not bad.
There were things that at the time
didn't feel so fun but that I could end up laughing about
and just recognize that all in all life is good.
And it makes for good stories. I love good stories!

What I didn't share on Facebook was that the day began
with something even worse.
Something that made my heart feel heavy all day.
Something that caused me to ask God "why?".

When the internet finally came on
(and before it went back off again!)
I saw a post and learned Shawna had cancer.
Stage IV.

I don't know Shawna that well myself
but I know more about her then just to say I know "of" her.
She was Kellie's maid of honor.
(I think she has played that role in a lot of weddings
because she is the kind that becomes a friend to all.)
She's been at my home a few times.
I was blessed to get to hear her teach the woman at our church
several times with an amazing ability to share her love for Christ.
I know about some terrible, beyond what anyone
should have to go through,
kinds of things that this young woman has already endured
and came through shining for Jesus.

I guess you would say I admire her from a distance.

And now she, along with her new husband and children,
are about to begin another hard battle.
Literally a fight for her life.

God does not answer my question of why.
I don't know why
but I have a feeling that He
is going to shine brightly in her life during this time.

Please join us in prayer as we hold her up
to the one who knows the answer to my question.
The one who loves Shawna more than any of us.

It makes bird poop on my shoulder and down my back pretty laughable.


If you would like to follow Shawna's fight against cancer
this is the link: http://lovingonshawna.com/


3 comments:

Mainely Me said...

Although I've only seen her a couple of times, I remember her. My day grew heavy yesterday, too, when I read the link regarding her cancer diagnosis. I will certainly be praying for her and her family as they align themselves to God's sovereignty in their lives. From what I hear, they will bring glory to Him in and through this trial, with His ever present Spirit.

Anonymous said...

I too was in shock all day..why's and how comes, were my thoughts all day.. then I remembered what I had read yesterday morning in John chapter 14 and 15 regarding John the baptist's death, I thought what a horrible way to die. No respect no remorse.. He was sent by God to lead the way to Jesus..How come.. he didn't deserve this.Then I kept reading, Jesus went away to be alone I think to pray and mourn for John. Crowds kept following him..Then wait God's only son suffered a worse death than John's, his life was cut short too. All for me..I don't understand why things like this happen..But I do know God is sovereign and he is Lord. He will triumph..I am praying for her family and that He will Shine through this..God bless you guys

Melissa

Joni said...

I'll be praying for Shawna and her family.