Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My Neighbors

I didn't go through the drive in for fast food on the way home like I sometimes do. My favorite coffee drink didn't even sound good. I decided I wouldn't even stop at TJ Maxx or Ross just to see what they have because, after all, I didn't really need anything. I did my grocery shopping and was much more aware of how much packaged, expensive, food I put in my cart. I even put some back. I had a few extra things on my list to get that I would drop off at the church for those without. It really didn't help my aching heart that much.

You see, today I learned that my neighbors are starving. (click here)

I don't know what this means for me. I'm sifting through my thoughts and praying for wisdom. I want to hear God's instruction and yet I must confess I feel a lot like the rich young ruler who was told to sell everything and give it to the poor. Luke 18: 18-24. I like my things. I like that my life is comfortable and that I have choices in what I have, do and buy. I like that I can put my tithe in the offering plate and forget about it.

But today, right now, I'm afraid that God is asking for more than that. I don't know if I can't hear or if I don't want to. Am I too saturated with the world around me that I can't feel God's heart for me? My flesh says to hang on. My spirit says to let go. I'm not sure how.

I do know this: I don't want to walk away sorrowful.


" Teacher, what should I do to inherit eternal life?" He said to him "what is written in the law? What is your reading of it?" So he answered and said, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength,and with all you mind and your neighbor as yourself. And He said to him, " you have answered rightly. Do this and you shall live." But he, wanting to justify himself, said to Jesus, "and who is my neighbor?" Luke 10:25-29






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sheri--your blog is AWESOME. I LOVE IT. I'm adding it to my blogroll. I love this one...I've posted lots of things about starving children and our own nauseating wealth in the U.S. Anyway, I love this. I'm going to keep reading!
K