Saturday, October 30, 2010

Listen and You Can Hear It Too


Warren sang to me during our wedding. A song he had written just for me.
Girls dreams of that sort of romantic thing!
Most every anniversary since, he has sung to me "our song".
I beg for it.
And I tear up every time.
It is my song. Written with me in mind.
So very long ago he had used this song to express himself to me.
My favorite line?

"The feelings that I have are like no others I have known."

What is it about music that stirs such emotion in us?
It ignites feelings of passion,
it soothes troubled hearts,
it calms a crying baby,
it cleanses the soul
and it is one of the greatest forms of worship.


I remember singing to the kids when they were little.
I sang about all sorts of things.
Jesus loves you. Jesus loves the little children.
And an all time favorite of mine -
You are my sunshine.
Sometimes I even made up songs as I sang. It all depended on the situation!
I continue to sing over my grandchildren.
Usually when no one else is around!

To hold a child and sing over him.
Oh, the innocence that you recognize as you look into their little faces.
I would study them as I gazed upon them. Memorizing every little detail.
Pondering in my heart.
Sometimes there would be smiles and sometimes huge tears rolling down my cheek.
Both from the awesome responsibility of being called
Mommy or Grandma
to such an extra-ordinary child as the one I was holding at that very moment.

I had dreams for each one.
Dreams because of my great love for them.
I had plans -
and they were all for the good of that particular child.
I wanted nothing but good for them
while at the same time I realized,
being an adult and all,
that having the good plan
would sometimes mean tears in their life.

And I also realized that they wouldn't always understand my intentions.
Not at the time anyway.
But I would press on because I knew that someday, hopefully,
they would understand my motive:

My unexplainable love for them.


I sang over them and marveled at the fact
that I was chosen to be an instrumental part
of this little person's life.

So blessed I am, I realized.

I was reminded of all of this when God brought this verse to mind:

Zep 3:17 The LORD your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing."


If I listen carefully I can almost hear the melody......



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it Sheri! That is one of my favorite verses. To think that God sings over us and rejoices over us, is so amazing. We are so blessed. I might also add that your children and grandchildren are also blesses to have you sing over them.
Deb

Rory and Lindsey Rodgers said...

Sheri, that was so beautiful. Love you so much, thank you for sharing.

Shelldell said...

What a lovely tradition from the heart a beautiful thing you two share.
Many blessed years to come.

Kátia said...

Hi Sheri
How are you?
Sometimes blogs here in Brazil exchange for a stamp and I let one for you in Artekoisas (http://artekoisas.blogspot.com/2010/12/ser-gentil-nao-tem-preco.html): "Courtesy generates kindness".
You are so sweet!
kiss