Friday, September 18, 2009

Today WAS the Day.....


Over the last year God has been trying to teach me what faith is to look like in my life.
The thing that has been revealed to me over and over is that working faith is just knowing that God only wants His best for me. That His plan will always be the best even when it doesn't look that way. I may not understand it at the time, maybe I will never understand it on this earth, but it will be the best for me and everyone concerned.
He is primarily after my spiritual best. That is first and foremost on His heart for me.
I want that for my life. It has taken me to Brazil.....

Sometimes that best takes on the look of huge disappointments in the meantime.

Yesterday Brett (and others that we love from our home church)
were suppose to board the plane to come and see us.
Our pastor and his daughter had planned to come to Brazil last year for a conference when they found out that Rob was going to have to have surgery and couldn't make the trip. Tickets had already been bought for that trip, 5 year visas secured. That trip was put on hold.
This was to be that trip with Amanda and Brett added to the traveler list.

A blessing to me all of these months, knowing he was coming.
I have missed that boy - I have missed family!
And having the others added as guests - well that was the cherry on the top!!!

It wasn't to be.

Unknown to Rob, until they got to the check in, the visas have to activated by going to Brazil within 90 days of receiving them so both of theirs were of no good anymore. He tried to make some phone calls while at the airport but there was just no way it was going to happen.

That left Amanda and Brett with the ability to go if they wanted. Amanda didn't feel at peace about going without them. Understandably so.

After many phone calls back and forth and even more prayers it was decided at the last minute that it wasn't peaceable for Brett to be going either.

I wanted it to be God's will. I wanted that boy on the plane.
But I didn't feel good about him coming either.
So when Rob called back saying he just didn't feel right about it, I agreed.
And felt relief. We all did.

We don't know God's purpose yet.
It's okay. In the end, I really want God's best.
For Brett even more than myself. And....

He does have a ticket good until June!!!!!!

pictures by Kellie Dykast

11 comments:

Dori said...

How disappointing for you all! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Kellie said...

I'm so sorry Mom, I know you must be feeling so disappointed. And Brett too, I'm sad for all of you!

Notes Handwritten said...

I love you Sheri. Thank you for being so transparent with us. It is hard sometimes for me to swallow Gods best. I want to pick and choose yet He is so gracious to let me be disappointed even when He knows the much better outcome, gracious, understanding, loving, patient, that is our God!

Glenda said...

"We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all the saints— the faith and love that spring from the hope that is stored up for you in heaven and that you have already heard about in the word of truth, the gospel that has come to you. All over the world this gospel is bearing fruit and growing, just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and understood God's grace in all its truth." Colossians 1:3-6

You're a faithful witness, even in the hard times. God will honor that. Big hugs to all of you. You are glorifying God with your trust in Him!

Proud Parents said...

Well, I wondered WHO was coming and now I know. Like the others have mentioned, I am so grateful for your openness and your COMPLETE confidence that God knows best. Ask my other half, he'd tell you that I'm one of the worst for trusting Him like I should. Guess we're never to old to learn so I'm still trying!

L., Pam (JJ's Mom)

JuRita said...

Love you Sheri! God is good, we pray you get to see your boy soon :)

Debi said...

Hey Sheri,

My heart is aching for you as I write this. I know how excited you were to have Brett coming and how you miss him. But God!! Like every other poster has said and you too have said, HE knows best and when the time is right, then your baby will get to come. My prayers are with you and Warren. Love you guys!

Judy said...

So, all disappointment aside, I press on toward the mark: if this is what you all were first offered...but you all willingly laid it down for the GREATER PRIZE... Wow! How Great that will be for ALL of you and those who come in your train into the Presence of the Lord! Ps 126, those who go weeping and sowing, come in with great sheaves!

Anonymous said...

Reading about your experience reminds me how far I still have to go in the area of spiritual maturity. I have been wrestling with God lately over His plan for my life and especially unanswered prayers, and all it's left me is tired and depressed. Deep down I know the truths you've expressed but I can't seem to praise Him in the storm like I should! I pray God will be faithful to pour out blessings on your family and Pastor Rob's as you continue to trust Him, even when you don't understand.

Jerus Luciana said...

E disse Pedro: Eis que nós deixamos tudo e te seguimos. E ele lhes disse: Na verdade vos digo que ninguém há, que tenha deixado casa, ou pais, ou irmäos, ou mulher, ou filhos, pelo reino de Deus,que näo haja de receber muito mais neste mundo, e na idade vindoura a vida eterna.
Lucas 18 28-30

Shelldell said...

I understand the ache a parent feels to be far away from a child my husband hasn't seen our oldest daughter since November of last year. I was blessed to see her in May but still that's a long time.
We are thankful to see her at Christmas, but in seeing her at Christmas we don't see the other daughter. It's so hard.
I pray you see Brett soon.