Friday, September 26, 2008

The Night Hours


I worry.


They say that once you admit that you have a problem you're half-way there to solving it. Sounds a little secular to me but...

This week I have spent a lot of time confessing it to the Lord. It's hard to admit. I really want to be the one that Jesus says "your faith has made you well"! I'm not there. But God is doing a work and I have a little victory to share.

I've been waking up a lot at night and laying there thinking of all of the things I can worry about....It almost makes me dread the night hours. The "hows" of Brazil can be mind consuming and, as often is the case, they plague me at night. (and I haven't solved a thing by laying there worrying at night either!)

Yesterday I had spent hours sharing with one of my sisters about faith. Yes, I did admit that I sometimes struggle with it myself :) but I gave her some pointers. ( it always feels good to be the one giving the pointers, doesn't it!)

Now for the victory: I went to bed and sometime during the night the old familiar starting to worry and wake up feeling hit and this is what happened. God's Word, which I had shared with my sister, came to me in a half awake state.

Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ. Phil 1:6

God is good and does good. Ps. 119:68 (Thanks for sharing that one Kari!)

Faith is trusting God that whatever He does or allows in my life is going to be for my good. (understand that is when I am seeking Him and His will for my life). I may not always see it, or feel it, or even know how it could possibly be but I can trust it. You are safe to obey God and I praise You.



And I never fully woke up....

4 comments:

Mainely Me said...

Oh, this sounds so familiar. The circumstances are not the same but the struggle is! Just before I came to your blog I printed the August 16-22 entries from Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost for His Highest". I have been stuck there, going back to read it and try to get it through my thick head! I have especially focused on the 19th and 20th, realizing that being focused on myself is the root of most of my distress! Knowing that is one thing; getting my thought processes changed and re focused is another, and the surrounding entries help with that.
Grace and Peace from God, our Father.

Sheri said...

Thank you, Jan. I'm going to go and grab Mr. Chambers right now! I've been reading the devotional this year myself so it will be a good refreshment to go back and get what I apparently didn't get the first time!!!! Thanks for taking the time to share with me. By the way, I've been waiting for a post on your blog...

Mainely Me said...

I've been reading this devotional for several years now and it never ceases to amaze me what I "miss". I've come to the conclusion that the Spirit grabs my attention one thing at a time, knowing my capacity for applying truth to myself is quite limited! So now, when something grabs my attention, usually forcing me to read it again because my heart is saying, "Huh?", I don't stop reading it until it soaks in. Hence, I'm still in August! And before moving on I printed those meaningful days out on one page so that I can refresh my wandering, weak willed mind regularly.

Eyes_Wide_Open said...

Amen Mom. Sheri, I'll remember your worrisome nights and try to pray for you when I'm up in the night. Usually I'm nursing a baby at some point. Keep trusting.

I need to go read Chambers too.